Recruitment: Editorial designer | Comstock magazine
Comstock’s is looking for a creative and motivated Editorial Designer to collaborate on its award-winning monthly print publication. Comstock’s is the premier trade publication for the California Capital Region, which includes Sacramento and the surrounding nine counties.
An ideal candidate will have a solid background in design, including experience creating illustrations and infographics. The Editorialist is a key member of the production team and works hand in hand with the editorial and commercial departments.
The position has two key components: finding and creating illustrations for the editorial departments (6-7 articles for the print publication each month), as well as their layout, and being responsible for the layout of our special promotional sections. The Editorial Designer will work closely with the Art Director and the Editorial Team.
- Find or create artwork for layout departments (6-7 articles for print publication each month)
- Design and create our special promotional sections and work closely with our special sections editor.
- Supervise the work of the ad designer
- Support and assist the artistic director
- Assist with multiple rounds of review, make changes as needed
- A sense of humor and a high level of fun working with other professionals
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- In-depth knowledge of the use of design concepts (layout, typography, color, white space and grid. Understanding of printing concepts (bleed, resolution and color). Knowledge of emerging trends and techniques in the web, web design and social networking User awareness centered design processes and methods.
- Google drive
- Working knowledge of Mac
- Ability to multitask, work quickly, maintain organization and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize, time management
- Ability to take ownership of assigned projects from start to finish
- Motivated and optimistic team player
- Skills in photography or illustration are a plus (not required)
- 2 years of design experience
- Experience in the layout of editorial content
- Solid portfolio, showcasing the SOLID sensibilities of design, color and typography
- Experience in creating illustrations and infographics is highly preferred
This position is open to part-time or full-time with the possibility of increasing the hours 30h-40h per week. The salary base depends on experience.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and portfolio to mlewis[@]comstocksmag.com and jobs[@]comstocksmag.com. Include “Editorial Designer” in the subject line for consideration.