How to turn video into GIF
Digital and creative
Let’s do a quick test. Go to your favorite social platform. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram… whatever you like. Now scroll down until you see a GIF.
How long did it take you to find one? Not long, we’re guessing.
The point is, GIFs are big. Since the launch of the first GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) in 1987, they have exploded into a pop culture phenomenon on the internet. Even with the rise of video, GIFs are still everywhere on the Internet.
GIPHY, one of the world’s most popular GIF platforms, claims that its users share 10 billion pieces of content every day.
Easier to make than a video, better than a still image, GIFs can:
- be funny or serious
- sell a product
- tell a story
- be used on social networks
- be added to emails
So if you are a marketer or a content creator, this is not only a very versatile type of content, they are also very effective across the board. If you’re new to the whole GIF making game, well, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s how you can create one from one of your videos.
How to make a GIF on GIPHY
GIPHY lets you create simple GIFs using just your smartphone or desktop computer. It’s perfect for businesses on a budget or content creators looking for that DIY feel. For a free tool, it offers plenty of creative options to work with.
Here’s how to turn video into GIF:
- Select your video. You can add video from your files or use YouTube URL. There’s even an option to shoot live in GIPHY if you’re creating on the fly. Remember, videos should be no larger than 100MB and be less than 15 seconds long.
- Then use the sliders to crop the length of your video, being careful to choose an effective start and end point. You’ll find it in the scissors icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Get creative and add text using the caption field – it can be a professional message or just something fun, depending on the purpose of the GIF.
- Next to the caption editor, you’ll see a number of tabs that allow you to add stickers, effects, and other fun ideas.
- If you are using the desktop version, you will be able to add a series of tags, which will make your GIF easier to find.
- Once you’re happy, hit create and upload your GIF to GIPHY’s platform, ready to share.
How to Make a GIF Using an Online Converter
Have you ever wondered why there are so many GIFs out there (we’re talking billions a day, remember)? Well, a lot of this is due to the many free converters that you will find on the internet.
Put simply, these are online platforms that allow you to upload your videos directly and quickly cut and process them into short and eye-catching animated GIFs. In terms of the process, you will find it largely the same in most free converters. It’s that simple.
With so much to choose from, it can be quite overwhelming. Seriously, just Google “online video to GIF converter” and you’ll see what we mean. Here are 3 of the best for you to try:
- Convert to cloud
How to make a GIF on Viddyoze
If you are a member of the Viddyoze Template Club or above, you will also be able to create GIFs using our specialized software. It is a very easy way to turn the video animations you have already created into an awesome animated GIF.
All you need to do is create your video animation in the usual way, click download when it is finished rendering, and select the “Animated GIF” option. Boom! That’s it. As easy as that.
As GIFs have become so popular over the past decade, we have tried to make it as easy as possible for you to convert your video content into engaging animated short films. While the most popular way to use them is through social media, they’re great for email campaigns.
You can embed these studio-quality video animations right into your emails, which not only creates an extra layer of dynamism for your marketing efforts, but also avoids the fact that you can’t really use videos in emails. mails.
How to make a GIF on a smartphone
Most smartphones have a very simple option to create a GIF – or something that looks like a GIF. In truth, this approach is limited, but it is a practical alternative if you are looking for a quick, easy, and inexpensive solution.
Apple’s Live Photo feature lets you create GIF-like shorts in seconds. The only problem here is that it will only “move” when viewed on an Apple device. Considering there are 1.65 billion Apple devices, that’s still a good range.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Photos app on your phone and select the live photo you want to use
- Swipe up until you see the “Effects” menu. You will have the choice between 4 animated image formats: live, loop, bounce and long exposure
- Finally, choose “loop” or “bounce” to create an animated image of type GIF
Slightly different but no less easy.
- First, you will need to take a sequence of photos (5 is good) of a similar action. Think movement – so 5 shots of person walking or dancing
- Then hold an image to select multiple photos. Then select the images you want to use
- In the upper corner of your screen, select the “3 dots” icon. A drop-down menu will appear. Tap the “Create GIF” option
We hope you have found how to turn a video into a GIF guide useful. For more free video marketing tips, check out our social media and subscribe to the Viddyoze blog. And if you want to see how we can help you, head over to our home page now.