Applitools Releases First-Ever State of UI/UX Testing Report Revealing Challenges Facing Modern Development Teams
Companies are struggling to keep up with the new reality of more frequent releases and increasing testing complexity, with more than 50% of organizations still using manual testing to validate applications.
SAN MATEOCalifornia. , July 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Applitools, provider of the next-generation test automation platform powered by Visual AI, today announced the 2022 State of UI/UX Testing Report. Testers, developers, QA managers and UI/UX designers from nearly 1,000 companies were surveyed.
As the industry’s first-ever report on user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) testing, the data shows that most organizations’ current testing techniques fall short of meeting quality engineering requirements for their digital products and services.
The report identifies the critical factors inhibiting the scalability of modern UI/UX testing and shows that although demand for techniques such as front-end testing is growing rapidly, only 30% of respondents are actively testing usability and usability. visual accuracy of an application. with each new production deployment.
To download the 2022 UI/UX Testing Status Report, visit: https://applitools.com/resources/insights/state-of-ui-ux-testing-2022/.
Here are the top trends and challenges identified in the State of UI/UX Testing report:
- 38% of companies deploy production changes daily. This results in a significant increase in the amount of test coverage required in a shorter period of time and widens coverage gaps. An even higher percentage of Applitools customers, nearly 2x more than non-customers, deployed daily due to the trust and coverage they get from Applitools Visual AI.
- Manual testing is still prevalent – most organizations have automated less than half of their testing despite having critical test coverage for each device.
- Over 40% of test suites take over an hour to run, creating a bottleneck for software delivery. However, respondents from companies using Applitools Ultrafast Test Cloud reported run times on average 4x faster.
- Across the industry, companies are seeing less than 50% test coverage and test suites that take over an hour to run. However, based on survey data, Applitools customers report 75% test coverage on average and running the test suite takes less than 15-20 minutes on average (or 4x faster than non-clients using traditional methods).
- Another challenge reported by nearly 70% of respondents is that the user interface is constantly changing across apps and device types, leading to constant maintenance and test stability issues for engineering teams.
“Achieving higher automation rates to test digital experiences is essential for businesses to stay ahead of the competition and ensure their users get a great experience on every device,” said Moshe Milman, co-founder and COO of Applitools. “Automating a single test case initially is fairly simple, but sustaining it over time in a CD environment and implementing cross-device testing and improving test coverage to cover all workflows critical users is more difficult and important than ever today.”
State of UI/UX testing: priorities and opportunities
Nearly 80% of survey respondents said their team was responsible for testing at least two web applications. Surprisingly, more than 50% of respondents are responsible for testing five or more applications with at least five localized languages.
- Most organizations consider “increased test coverage” to be the primary reason for test automation.
- The priority of test types is changing – while unit, functional and API testing remain the most important, usability and UI testing are now more important than load, performance and security testing, depending on the respondents.
- Visual testing and test execution are two key areas where the majority of organizations are looking to implement AI-augmented technology.
Applitools customers are better equipped to meet the challenges of UI/UX testing and quality engineering. Marianne Epsteindirector of UX design at EVERFI explains:
“The number of permutations is overwhelming and it was impossible for the UX team to navigate. Applitools provides instant access and validation to the massive inventory of screens and the peace of mind knowing that every regression is immediately spotted on all screen variations, ensuring the user experience is exactly as it was intended. I feel like this is a transformative tool for our UX team and how we partner with development to improve the experience user.
Applitools is able to visually test five applications, in five languages, on five types of browsers, for three different devices – with a single line of code – in minutes, not hours. Learn more about testing with Applitools Visual AI at https://applitools.com/solutions/visual-testing/.
Applitools is the industry leader in the application of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for test automation, providing a next-generation test automation platform powered by Visual AI. More than 400 of the world’s leading brands in verticals such as technology, banking, insurance, retail, pharmaceutical and publishing – including 50 of the Fortune 100 – use Applitools to deliver the best possible digital experiences to millions of customers on any device and browser, regardless of screen size and operating system.
Applitools’ Ultrafast Test Cloud Modernizes Critical Test Automation Use Cases — Functional Testing, Visual Testing, Web and Mobile UI/UX Testing, Cross-Browser Testing, Responsive Web Design Testing, Cross-Device Testing , PDF testing, accessibility testing, and conformance testing — to transform the way companies innovate at the speed of DevOps without putting their brand at risk.
Applitools is headquartered in San Mateo, Californiawith an R&D center in Tel Aviv, Israel. To learn more, visit applitools.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.