15 things we miss about York – in pictures
Stopping at chocolate shops when cyclists crowded York’s roads, swimming in St George’s Baths and going to see an ABC film – these are just a few of the many things about York that people miss. people today.
Readers shared their memories in our press nostalgia group on Facebook.
Since launching Why We Love York – Memories on Facebook 18 months ago, nearly 3,000 people have joined.
And over 560 comments were posted under the question: You know you’re from York when you remember…?
It was a signal for people to remember what they miss in our beautiful city.
Today we have collected only 15 of these memories, as well as a selection of photos.
If you would like to share yours, click here to enter today or visit www.facebook.com/groups/yorknostalgia/
In the meantime, here are 15 things readers miss about York – is yours on the list?
1. Patrick Loftus: “King’s Square Pigeons.”
2. Elaine Dennett: “The policeman standing in Clifford Street directing traffic…and the ferry that was at the bottom of Farndale Street that took us across the river to Rowntree Park.”
3. Jacqueline Hall: “I spent time at Rowntree’s when Haxby Road was inundated with cyclists.”
4. Lee Jason Moran: “Glass Factory at Fishergate.”
5. Annette Forster: “The fabric shop at Renders High Ousegate. They had some sort of cutting machine that gave a straight edge.”
6. Joan Rush: “Wrights pork pies, pies and polony delicious.”
7. Valerie Motek: “Buying scrap chocolate at the Rowntree staff shop.”
8. Garry Moody: “Getting Questa’s ice cream after already sinking a few pints at Market Tavern, Half Moon and Londesboro on Saturday lunch.”
9. Yvonne Walton-Gurney: “Going to Heartbeat on a Saturday afternoon with some friends when you were 12.”
10. Anne Horner: “See the Beatles at Rialto”
11. Alan Morley: “Working at the carriage.”
12. Isabel Baker: “Go see Back to the Future at the ABC Theaters.”
13. Susan Black: “Passing by the cathedral, and before it was cleaned.”
14. Lou Abel: “Fireworks – Clifford’s Tower.”
15. Diane Carter: “St George’s Baths and St George’s Field Fair.”
What do you remember of your past life in York?
We would love to hear more of your memories and see your old photos.
Please pull out your old photo albums and share your memories with us at Why We Love York – Memories. Click here to join our group today!
Thanks to everyone for their comments and photos so far – keep following them!